Sunday, March 25, 2012

My sister, My friend



I smile because you're my sister, I laugh because there is nothing you can do bout it!
I have a sister that is 3 years older than me. She bought me a wall decoration with this saying on it a few years back. But, I probably should have been the one saying this to her because I'm pretty sure I annoyed her far more than she annoyed me. Like the time she was cutting up vegetables in the kitchen and I made her so angry she turned around and said she hated me and I'm pretty sure she threatened to stab me, I know right! I don't even remember what I did to upset her but she never did have much patience for me :)

I don't know where I would be without my sister. She has been a huge part of my life. We weren't as close growing up. My brother and her were closer in age so they hung out a lot. It wasn't until my brother left home that we truly grew our bond as sisters.

My sister was who I looked up to and yes even envied! My sister is very beautiful and always has been. All my guy friends in school always talked about hot my sister was. We were even walking through the mall one time and some random guy stopped her and told her she was beautiful. I was so envious of her beauty. But could you blame me...I was a freckled, awkward little ginger :)

My sister would probably disagree that she was a good example to me because she was the rebel child in our house hold. All the things we were told or taught not to do, she did them :) But I would disagree that she was a bad example. My sister was and still is so generous and giving. She loves to do for others!! She was always able to speak up for herself, even to my parents, not in a disrespectful way, and I again envied this about her. I was an introvert but she always encouraged me to say what was on my mind and speak up if I didn't agree with something. Watching her life helped me in the decisions I had to make in mine. I am very grateful for the example she is and was, the good and the bad!

I have so many memories of us just being crazy together and am reminded of them often. It could be a song that jolts those memories or something someone says or does and I instantly miss her! I don't get to see her much anymore because we live a 2 days drive a way from each other but she means just as much to me now as she did growing up! My sister is an amazing women and mother. I'm not just saying that because she is my sister but she is truly one of the most amazing mothers I know!

I was reminded of a time when we went on vacation to Yellowstone National Park, she was a teenager and I was probably 10 or 11. We had been visiting an area of the park and night fell and my sister and I and our dad were the only ones left out at this geyser. If you have ever been to Yellowstone it is a very eerie but beautiful place. It was very dark out and I was terrified walking through the dark desolate place thinking a bear or buffalo was going to come maul me at any moment. I wanted to reach out for my sisters hand but resisted because I didn't want her to know how scared I was...well just a few moments later my sister reached out and grabbed my hand, she was just as scared as I was. Immediately I felt comforted and not as afraid. After that time there were many more dark moments in our lives where we needed to reach out for each other's hand. Whether it was in the form of a hug, a phone call or just crying together. She still brings comfort to me in my times of darkness.

If you were fortunate enough to be blessed with a sister, I hope you can say that she is not just your sister, but your friend and that you cherish the time you have with them!!

Dedicated to my beautiful, amazing, crazy, fantastic sister Rebekah Lynn Robertus.
I love you Pooky!!!

2 comments:

  1. RED! Did you have to say I threatened you with a knife???!!! Sorry bout that!!! ahahah! I love you so much and thank you for the kind words! I have always looked up to you, even though you are younger than me! I was a rebel and had to learn alot of things the hard way! I envied you for not learning things the hard way! Well...someone had to make the bad mistakes, better me than you cuz I wouldn't want you to have gone through the heart aches that I did!

    I love love love you so much! Thank you Jesus for blessing me with my annoying, wonderful, amazing, beautiful, smart ginger little sister...and friend!

    Love you schmoogly bear!

    Bekah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha!! Sorry pook, It's a funny story. I just love you!!!

      Delete